Membership in the Professional Horsemen's Association of America, Inc. is divided into the following categories:
- PROFESSIONAL members must reside in the United States and have the horse industry as their principal means of support. The individual must be proposed by two Professional Members and accepted by the local chapter membership committee.
- ASSOCIATE members are amateurs eighteen years of age and over, interested in furthering the purpose of the PHA and who are accepted by the chapter membership committee.
- JUNIOR members are those who have not reached their eighteenth birthday and have been accepted by the chapter membership committee.
- LIFETIME ASSOCIATE and Lifetime Professional Membership fee is paid directly to the PHA Scholarship Fund and is tax deductible.
- LIFE PROFESSIONAL members are those Professional Members over sixty-five years of age who have paid dues to the PHA for twenty years or more and are exempt from further dues payments.